A correct installation of a wooden sleeper requires a good location and safety at all moment. Railway wooden sleepers weigh from 60 to approximately 100 kilograms and have lengths from 180 to 275 centimeters, having reduced and difficult mobility at home.
It is recommended that before installing the sleeper analyze the location. If the location is humid, the sleeper will require more care and application of preservation products.
Drainage is an important factor to consider during installation of a wooden sleeper in gardens. High levels of humidity shorten product life; to improve this a thin layer of gravel should be added in the ditch where the sleeper relies. Gravel improves drainage when watering the garden, therefore less humidity is retained by the wood. The average lifespan of a sleeper is 7 years and can increase up to 9 or 10 years by spreading a layer of gravel inside the ditch.
The following instructions must be done in order to install and benefit the most from a wooden sleeper:
- Select a proper place to install the sleeper, analyzing the respective spaces through which the sleeper will be transported.
- Excavate a ditch the length of the sleeper and between 5 and 7 centimeters of depth.
- With the ditch already made between 5 and 7 centimeters depth, open the gravel sack.
- Fill the ditch with 3 centimeters of gravel to improve drainage.
- It is highly recommended to move the sleeper between 2 people due to weight. Also wearing the safety gear previously mentioned.
- From the ends of the sleeper, lift it and install it inside the ditch.
- Cover the missing spaces with soil.